Spread Happiness

We're all in this together, whether you feel it or not, whether you like it or not. In this day and age, love, peace, happiness may seem hard to find, but in reality, little things make us smile every single day.

Tell us your stories. We'd love to hear them. Email us at kaya.ananda@gmail.com and we'll post it on the blog for you.

Let's keep each other inspired, grateful and loved.

Peace :)

Sunday, April 25, 2010

I Heart NY

Growing up with three sisters, there were a ton of catfights.
We would all fight over anything and everything even when there was
nothing to fight about
Funny enough once we all began to go our separate ways we all started
to miss having someone to fight with. My oldest sister left the house
to start her own family, the other to start college and the youngest
joined the U.S. Navy and ended up in Italy.
The four of us would go for months not speaking to each other but when
they all came home for the holidays it was like we were never apart.
Late last year my sister was going through a tough time with her
marriage. She called me crying one day asking me for help. She never
asks for help so i knew she meant serious business.
She asked me to move in with her so I could help out with her son, my nephew.
I grew up in Southern California and have always said there is no
place i could ever see myself living in. My friends are all there and
its what i know. I've been to many places but i always come back to
California because California is home and home is where my heart is.
My sister lives in New York, now while anyone else would jump at the
chance i was hesitant to move across the country. I don't know anyone
in the east coast aside from my sister and nephew and i knew it would
be a huge adjustment. All my friends said i would hate it and i
agreed.
The first couple of weeks was horrible. I would cry for no reason, but
mostly because i missed California and everything i left there. It
also happened to be winter when i moved east so it was snowing and
that was depressing. They don't call it winter blues for nuthin.
Cut to three months later and i don't want to leave. Although i do
miss my life back in California I have fully adjusted to city life.
Nothing quite compares to walking at Central Park at 6am while
everyone else are sleeping. The city is beautiful in the morning when
its not littered with tourists.
There are so many things to see, I never get sick of anything. Nothing
quite compares to hearing 10 different languages being spoken all at
the same time. I don't even care that i don't understand any of it,
its just a beautiful thing to hear. Most days i just walk around with
no particular place to be at. Sometimes i go to a museum and stare at
a painting or hang around Times Square and people watch. It is in fact
the city that never sleeps and i'm glad to be one of its minions.
Now if only I could get my friends to come visit me

Julie - Oxnard, CA via NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and stories are welcome! Please keep it positive!