Spread Happiness

We're all in this together, whether you feel it or not, whether you like it or not. In this day and age, love, peace, happiness may seem hard to find, but in reality, little things make us smile every single day.

Tell us your stories. We'd love to hear them. Email us at kaya.ananda@gmail.com and we'll post it on the blog for you.

Let's keep each other inspired, grateful and loved.

Peace :)

Friday, March 26, 2010

The day I became the Princess in the storybook

I have been living in China for over a year now. I studied Chinese and now I'm working as a speech therapist to expat kids in Shanghai. It's an amazing job, but at the same time, living in a communist non-english speaking country can become very lonesome. But it was here in China that I met the love of my life. Tim and I have been together since last year and he is the most amazing thing that has ever came into my life. But last January he had to go back to the US, and yes, he took my heart with him. Of course we stayed together, talking on skype for 2-3 hours a day and only stopping coz our bodies needed sleep, even if our hearts still longed to continue talking. It hasn't been an easy journey, but its one I'm willing to tread until I'm finally back in his arms for good..
Then last week came the surprise of my life. It was his spring break, and little did I know that he planned to surprise me. First, he came to Manila for a day just to ask my parents permission to marry me. And then the next day he flew to Shanghai and asked me to become his wife. It was a day I will never forget. On a cold and rainy March 15- I got engaged. He could only stay for 6 days coz he had to go back to school.. but those were the best 6 days of both our lives. Now Timmy is back in the US and I am still here in China.. and we are back to our old skype routine.
Life isn't easy here. I barely earn enough for me to be able to pay for my rent and living expenses, and I hardly save anything. I don't know anything about planning a wedding, and handling visas and paperwork. It's stressful but just knowing that someone out there loves me, just knowing that I have found my soulmate.. He gives me the strength to persevere. He is my light at the end of the tunnel. I love you Timmy and you make me happy every second of every day. <3 I can't wait to love you and take care of you for the rest of my life. Thank you for being there and just being you.  
 

-Steph Afzelius, Shanghai

1 comment:

  1. <3

    i too am in a relatively long-distance relationship. it's been tough, like you said. but ours is definitely not as long a distance as you two. so this DEFINITELY gives me hope. =]

    congratulations! you both look lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and stories are welcome! Please keep it positive!